Homemade Cucumber Peppermint Rock Candy
Author: Lunches and Littles
- 3 cups granulated sugar, plus more for rolling
- 1 cup cucumber water* (1- 2 cucumbers and a splash of water)
- A few drops of peppermint oil
- Food coloring, as desired
- *You will also need jars, clothespins and candy sticks (like these off Amazon)
- Start off by making your cucumber juice: take a cucumber or two and place in a high-powered blender like a Vitamix. Pulse blend on high until cucumber is fully blended and only juice remains. Set aside.
- Next, take a strainer, milk nut bag, etc. and strain cucumber juice into a glass or jar, discarding any pulp.
- Now let’s make your syrup: combine sugar and (strained) cucumber water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until sugar starts to dissolved.
- Continue cooking until sugar is completely dissolved. Adjust temp as needed. You do not want to burn sugar mixture!
- Once sugar mixture starts to bubble, reduce heat slightly. Then continue cooking until mixture is completely clear, and all sugar is dissolved into a syrup.
- At this point, you want to add any flavorings or color. We used peppermint flavoring, and added a couple drops of green food coloring to bump up the color.
- While waiting for sugar to dissolve, prep sticks. Dip the top part half (or less) of the stick in your sugar mixture. Then carefully roll the coated part of your stick in sugar.
- Using a candy thermometer (or comparable) check temp. Once temp is 220 degrees proceed to carefully pour mixture into 1-2 jars.
- Now, using a clothespin, suspend stick in the syrup in your jar as shown. Be careful to make sure that stick is ¾ of an inch or more from the bottom of jar. Set aside.
- Finally, wait! This process usually takes at least five days, but can take longer. Make sure your jars are set aside in a place where they will not be disturbed.
- Once you see that crystals have formed, and you are happy with the size of them, you can carefully remove your rock candy sticks from the jar. After removal, suspend in a separate, empty jar to dry.
- After rock candy sticks are dry, enjoy!