Tomato Basil Turkey Soup
Author: Lunches and Littles
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup yellow onion (chopped)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 oz) can roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp dried oregano, and salt and pepper to taste
- 2 containers Village Farms heavenly villagio marzano tomatoes
- olive oil
- 1 lb leftover tukey meat, cut up/shredded
- fresh parmesan cheese and approx.
- 1 cup basil (rough chopped) for topping
- Heat butter and a few drizzles of oil in a large soup pot. Add garlic and sauté on medium-high heat until fragrant.
- Next, add onions and cook for approx. 5 min. until fragrant and semi-caramelized.
- While onions are on stovetop, roast the two containers of heavenly villagio marzano tomatoes- cut in half, then toss with a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast on 425 for 15-20 min.
- Add broth, crushed tomatoes, heavy cream and a bit of salt and pepper; stir to combine.
- Allow mixture to start to boil, then reduce heat to medium. Allow to simmer for approx. 10 min., stirring occasionally.
- While mixture cooks, re-heat approximately 1 pound of turkey. Once reheated, set aside.
- Once the tomatoes are roasted, remove from oven. Transfer ½ of them to the soup pot/mixture. Set remaining tomatoes to the side.
- Use an immersion blender to completely combine with the remainder of the mixture. Add in oregano and stir.
- Next, add in turkey meat and remainder of tomatoes. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust as needed.
- Top with basil and parmesan. Serve immediately.
Recipe and photography created exclusively for Village Farms by Lunches + Littles
Read- Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey Deliciously Transformed