Black Eyed Pea Stew with Tangy Tomato Relish
Author: My Diary of Us
- Black Eyed Pea Stew
- 10 Oz. Village Farms Heavenly Villagio Marzano® tomatoes, diced
- 3 Cups Dried Black Eyed Peas (that have been soaked overnight)
- 1 Bundle of Collard Greens
- 1 Lb. of Ham Hocks
- 1 Onion
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 6 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- For the Tomato Relish
- 10 Oz. Village Farms Heavenly Villagio Marzano® tomatoes, diced small
- ¼ Cup Finely Diced Onion
- 1 Tbsp. Peppercorns
- 1 Tbsp. Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 Cup Vinegar
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add oil.
- Add ham hocks and brown on all sides.
- Remove the ham hocks from the pan and set aside.
- Add diced onion, garlic, and bay leaf.
- Season with salt and pepper and sauté until onion is translucent.
- Add in Village Farms Heavenly Villagio Marzano® tomatoes at this time and scrape up any bits that have accumulated on the bottom of the pan. Season again with salt and pepper.
- Add in black eyed peas at this time and cover with chicken stock. Stir to combine and then add ham hocks back into the stew.
- Add in collard greens at this time, slowly wilting them into the stew.
- Season again with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and let cook 3-4 hours until beans are tender and meat is falling apart.
- Taste test for salt and pepper and then serve with tomato relish.