beefsteak tomato, avocado, & onion carpaccio
Yields: 6 salads
- 1 lb Village Farms juicy beefsteak® tomatoes
- 1 cup Bacon, finely diced
- ½ cup Red onion, finely diced
- ½ cup Italian flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup Shallots, finely diced
- ¼ cup Cornstarch
- 2 cups Canola oil (for deep frying)
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- Coarse sea salt, to taste
- 3 Ripe avocados
- ½ cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves Garlic
- Juice of 2 limes
- Bake diced bacon in a 375°F oven until crisp and golden; reserve.
- Heat canola oil in a deep pot in preparation to deep-fry the parsley and the shallots.
- Heat oil until it bubbles when you drop in a parsley leaf.
- Fry the parsley in a couple of small batches until crisp.
- Transfer to a paper towel–covered plate when done and reserve.
- Toss the shallots in cornstarch, taking care to shake off the excess. Fry until golden brown; transfer to a paper towel to absorb excess moisture. Reserve.
- Purée ripe avocados in a blender with garlic, olive oil, and lime juice.
- Salt and pepper to taste, and reserve.
- Slice the beefsteak tomatoes into thin disks and arrange on plates “carpaccio”-style (laid out flat).
- Season with salt and pepper, then spread the avocado purée over the tomatoes.
- Top the purée with the crisp bacon, raw onions, and fried shallots evenly. Finish by gently placing the fried parsley leaves standing up throughout the carpet of garnish as a finishing touch.
- Finish seasoning with sea salt and cracked pepper.