Farro Salad with Toasted Pine Nuts and Roasted Tomatoes
Author: Lunches and Littles
- WHAT YOU NEED (for roasted tomatoes/remainder of dish):
- • 2 pints Maverick Mix®Tomatoes
- • a few drizzles of EVOO
- • 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- • ½ tbsp sugar
- • ½ tsp salt
- • 2 cups cooked farro (rinsed)
- • ½ cup pine nuts
- • 3- 4 cups fresh greens of choice (we used a spring mix)
- • crumbled feta cheese, as desired (we used ¼- 1/2 cup or so)
- • a sprinkling of fresh/chopped parsley
- • Additional salt and pepper to taste
- WHAT YOU NEED (for fresh lemon vinaigrette):
- • 4 tbsp fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- • 1 and ½ tbsp white wine vinegar
- • ½ cup EVOO
- • 1 and ½ tbsp raw honey
- • 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- • ¼ tsp salt
- • ¼ tsp black pepper
- • ½ tbsp dried parsley
- spray or line with parchment paper.
- Cut all tomatoes in half and lay out on tray(s). Toss with a bit of olive oil, garlic, sugar and salt. Toss to coat. Then spread out on tray(s). Roast for up to an hour, until caramelized, and somewhat shriveled. These get so sweet- you are going to love them (and may just want to roast an extra batch for snacking)!
- While tomatoes roast you want to prep everything else you need for the recipe: cook farro according to package instructions, toast pine nuts, chop fresh greens and then make vinaigrette.
- To make vinaigrette: place all vinaigrette ingredients into a mason jar with lid. Seal and shake vigorously for 30 seconds or more, until very well-combined. Place vinaigrette in refrigerator.
- Once tomatoes are roasted, remove from oven and allow to cool just a couple minutes, then carefully loosen them with a flipper/turner so they are not stuck to the pan.
- To make salad: combine farro, about ¾ of the tomatoes, pine nuts, fresh greens, and feta. Pour about ¼ of the vinaigrette over top salad and gently toss to coat.
- Serve immediately, season with salt and pepper, top with chopped parsley and additional tomatoes as desired. Serve alongside remaining dressing to use as desired as well, and ENJOY!
- Recipe serves 3-4, depending on portion size. Recipe is easily doubled, if needed.