colorful tomato and egg bake
Author: Diana Pittet
Yields: 4 servings
- 1 package Maverick Mix® tomatoes (1 pound), halved or quartered depending on size
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, oregano, or marjoram
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Chili flakes (optional)
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices of crusty bread
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Combine tomatoes, garlic, herbs, olive oil, ¼ teaspoon each of salt, pepper, and chili flakes (if using) in a baking dish (1 to 2 quarts in size).
- Bake for 10 minutes until tomatoes are soft (or up to 25 minutes if you have the time and you want more of a concentrated tomato sauce).
- With a wooden spoon, make 4 small wells in the tomatoes. Crack an egg into each well and sprinkle salt, pepper, and chili pepper (if using) atop the eggs.
- Bake until the yolks are set to your liking, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Let rest 5 minutes.
- Serve in individual bowls with bread to soak up the savory juices.