Cabernet Tomatoes Stuffed with Avocado Crema
Author: Susan Spungen
- 1 dry pint Village Farms Cabernet Estate Reserve® tomatoes
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and peeled
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ cup cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Hot sauce to taste
- Tortilla chips, for garnish
- Using a small sharp knife, cut a very thin slice off the bottom of each tomato so it will sit flat. Then cut a slice off the top of each tomato. Use the knife to cut around the inside of the tomato and scoop out the seeds and flesh. Turn them upside down on a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- In a food processor (preferably a mini one), combine the avocado, salt, cilantro, yogurt, lime juice, and a few dashes of hot sauce. Puree until completely smooth. Adjust seasonings as needed. Set aside. It can be stored in the refrigerator for a few hours if packed into the smallest possible container with plastic wrap pressed onto the surface.
- When ready to serve, transfer the avocado crema to a plastic piping bag, or into the corner of a resealable plastic bag. Snip the end off the piping bag or one corner of the resealable bag, and gently squeeze the crema down to the tip, and twist the bag at the top.
- Turn the tomatoes over on a plate, and gently squeeze the bag to fill each tomato. Garnish each tomato with a broken piece of tortilla and a sprig of cilantro.
Recipe and photography by Susan SpungenPrint