Author: Chef D. Brown
- 1 LB (454 G) – Smoked thick-cut bacon
- 1 LB (454 G) – White onion
- ⅓ Cup (70 G) – Bacon fat (reserved from the bacon)
- ½ Cup (140 G) – Granulated sugar
- ⅓ Cup (90 G) – Red wine vinegar
- 1.5 LBS (680 G) – Village Farms cabernet estate reserve™ tomatoes, quartered
- ½ Tsp (1 G) – Black pepper
- ¼ Tsp (.5 G) – Sea salt
- Cut bacon into ¼” thin strips.
- Cut onion into similar sized julienne.
- Slowly warm bacon in a large skillet up to a medium-high heat, until it browns and becomes crisp.
- Add in the onion and sauté until translucent.
- Drain the fat off the bacon, measure out ⅓ cup bacon fat and reserve.
- Add the sugar to the bacon and allow it to melt, add bacon fat, and allow to caramelize slightly.
- Add red wine vinegar; whisk until it’s nearly evaporated, and the sugar is all dissolved.
- Add water, tomatoes, salt and black pepper.
- Allow to simmer for 30 min;
- Check seasoning and adjust as necessary;
- Remove from heat and cool.