Tomato and Mozzarella Dip
- 1 10 oz. dry pint Heavenly Villagio Marzano tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- Big pinch red pepper flakes
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella (not in water)
- 8 basil leaves, torn in half
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Crusty bread, sliced and toasted
- ⅛ tsp (a small pinch!) of nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. plain tomato paste
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- finely chopped parsley and/or sage leaves for sauce, for topping, etc. (as desired)
- *You may also like: additional cheese for topping
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place a small flameproof baking dish over medium heat and add the oil (if you only have a ceramic baking dish, heat it in the oven). Add the garlic, and cook, stirring, until golden brown all over, about 5 minutes. Scoop the garlic out, and set aside. Leave the oil in the dish.
- Add the tomatoes with the salt and red pepper flakes, and toss to coat.
- Slice the mozzarella, and tear into smaller pieces, tucking them among the tomatoes. Tuck the basil leaves in.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan over the top and place in the oven. Bake 15 minutes, until bubbling. Broil briefly to brown the top, watching carefully.
- Serve immediately with the crusty bread. Keep warm on a hot plate if not serving immediately.
Recipe and photography by Susan Spungen
Read – Unfussy HolidaysPrint