Savory Heavenly Villagio Marzano® Tomato Waffles
Author: Nosh and Nourish
Yields: 10-11 four inch waffles
- For the waffles:
- 12 Heavenly Villagio Marzano® tomatoes, divided
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp tube basil paste (or sub 20 fresh basil leaves)
- 1 ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk, divided (or sub regular milk)
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp. granulated monk fruit (or sub sweetener of choice)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 4 – 5 fried eggs
- 4 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut 8 of the Heavenly Villagio Marzano® tomatoes in half, longways, and then lay them in a single layer on a prepared baking sheet. Bake/roast for 10 minutes.
- In a large measuring cup, combine the olive oil, basil paste, ½ cup almond milk, and the roasted tomatoes. Blend until smooth. Then, set aside.
- Dice the remaining 4 Heavenly tomatoes. Then set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sea salt, and monk fruit. Whisk until combined.
- Then, stir in the remaining ¾ cup almond milk, apple cider vinegar, 2 eggs, roasted tomato mixture, and fresh diced tomatoes. Stir until just combined, if it seems to dry, add a splash more almond milk.
- Heat your waffle iron per owner instructions. Lightly spray cooking spray into iron and then add enough batter to the iron to make waffles. Every few waffles, be sure to re-spray your waffle iron as necessary.
- Once cooked, stack up a couple of your waffles and adorn with a fried egg, bacon crumbles, and crushed red pepper flakes (optional).
- If you like things sweeter, feel free to add a bit of maple syrup on top… or tomato jam!
- Please note: I used a mini waffle maker for these (I just think
miniis more fun!). I used this one here, which yields waffles that are approximately 4 inches in diameter.