Italian Sausage, Tomato, Tortellini Soup
Author: Rebecca Costa
- 2 pints Heavenly Villagio Marzano® tomatoes, cut into thirds cross-wise
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. fresh sweet Italian chicken sausage, cut into 1-inch-thick rounds
- 1 shallot, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 c chicken bone broth (may substitute bone broth + water with straight soup broth)
- 4 c water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed
- 12 oz. tortellini, fresh
- ¾ c milk
- ¼ c butter, room temperature
- ¼ c shaved parmesan cheese
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil, chicken sausage, shallots and garlic to the pot and sauté for five minutes.
- Add bone broth, water, tomatoes, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Whisk until broth and water are well combined.
- Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add kale, tortellini, milk and butter. Stir to combine.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, just long enough for the pasta to cook.
- Serve with fresh parmesan cheese sprinkled atop.