Hash Brown & Roasted Tomato Easter Egg Nests
Author: Lunches and Littles
- non-stick cooking spray
- olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- ¼ cup yellow or white onion (finely diced)
- ½ lb pork sausage
- 1 to 2 tbsp maple syrup (more or less depending on preference)
- 1 bag of pre-shredded hash browns (thawed). We used the Simply Potatoes brand; 20 oz bag
- 1 and ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 eggs
- milk if desired (for eggs)
- 1 to 2 pints Maverick Mix® Tomatoes
- chopped parsley, if desired for garnish
- Spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray and set aside, Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a small amount of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and onion to skillet and sauté for a few minutes until tender and fragrant.
- Add sausage and cook, breaking it up with the side of a spoon as you go, until cooked through.
- Add in maple syrup, stirring it around and coating sausage with it in the process. Cook another minute or so, until syrup is thickened a bit.
- Remove pan from heat and set aside, allowing sausage to cool off a little.
- Next, in a large bowl combine hash browns, cheese and sausage mixture. Gently mix together until well-combined, add salt and pepper if desired.
- Now it's time to fill your muffin tins: take a small amount of the sausage/cheese mixture and place it into each prepared well. With the back of a spoon, work mixture up the sides of the wells, adding more as necessary. *Please note: hash brown mixture will get smaller/ shrink as they cook, so overfill/ bring mixture up and out of the wells a bit, to ensure their nest form, as shown above, once cooked.
- Cook nests in the oven for approximately 30 min. or until edges are crisp/ lightly browned. *Please note: oven times vary. Check on nests every 5 minutes or so, after the initial 15 minutes. Once done, remove pan from oven.
- While nests cook: make scrambled eggs as you usually would. 6 eggs is suggested.
- Also, while nests cook: briefly cook your tomatoes. Transfer tomatoes to a pan with a little bit of olive oil over low heat. Cook until just slightly blistered. Then remove from heat.
- When everything is ready it is time to assemble your nests: Place scrambled eggs in individual nests, and top with a few tomatoes each. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper and parsley as desired for garnish.