Grilled Oysters with Roasted Cabernet Estate Reserve® Tomato Compound Butter
Author: How to Feed a Loon
- 2 pints Village Farms Cabernet Estate Reserve® Tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sticks (16 tbsp) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 12 medium to large fresh oysters
- Rock salt
- PREPARE THE ROASTED TOMATO COMPOUND BUTTER
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, toss the tomatoes with the garlic, a healthy pinch of salt and pepper, and the thyme.
- Place tomatoes on a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the tomatoes are soft and have begun to release some juice.
- Transfer tomatoes and juices to a bowl and let come to room temperature (this can be expedited by placing in the refrigerator).
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, add the softened butter, basil, balsamic vinegar and 1 cup of the roasted tomatoes. Process until completely combined.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Leave at room temperature if using immediately, or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- PREPARE THE OYTERS
- Prepare grill to high heat, approx. 400°F.
- Spread a layer of rock salt (or a layer of crumpled foil) in a large cast iron skillet, or pan.
- Shuck oysters, leaving them on the half shell. Nestle the oysters in the rock salt, or foil.
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of the compound butter on each oyster.
- Place the skillet (or pan) on the grill and cook, covered, for 5 to 6 minutes, until the butter is bubbly and the oysters are beginning to curl, slightly.
- Serve with additional roasted tomato compound butter on the side.