Cheese Tortellini with Blistered Tomatoes and Homemade Pesto
Author: Lunches + Littles
- 1 to 1 and ½ packages tortellini of choice (9 - 14 oz)
- 1 and ½ pints Maverick Mix® Tomatoes
- ⅓ cup Macadamia nuts
- 2 cups fresh basil (packed)
- ⅓ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup Pesto or EVO Oil
- 5 cloves garlic (minced/divided*)
- ¼ tsp coarse salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper and a splash of lemon juice
- Optional: additional parmesan cheese and basil for garnish
- For the pesto: place macadamia nuts into a blender or food processor (I use a @vitamix) and pulse until broken into small bits.
- Add basil, parmesan cheese, oil, 3 garlic cloves only (minced), salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Pulse until well-combined. Once done, set pesto aside.
- Next, cook tortellini per package instructions, then set aside.
- While tortellini cooks: in a large skillet over medium-heat, drizzle pan with oil and then add remaining 2 cloves garlic (minced).
- Cook until fragrant, being sure not to burn. Add in tomatoes, turn down heat slightly and move tomatoes around the pan several minutes until they start to blister.
- Remove from heat and allow to slightly cool.
- Mix pesto and tortellini. Then top with blistered tomatoes and some of the pan juice from skillet if desired.
- Finally, top with parmesan cheese and basil for garnish.