Shakshuka with Peppers, Feta, and Olives
Author: Susan Spungen
- 1 lb. package Sinfully Sweet Campari tomatoes, cut into ⅛’s
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 2-inch slivers
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ tsp. Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 3 oz. feta cheese
- ⅓ cup pitted Kalamata olives
- Handful of fresh dill
- Handful of fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, until translucent (reduce heat if onions are browning).
- Add garlic and cook 2 minutes. Add peppers and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add cumin, paprika, cayenne, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes
- Add ¼ cup water, stirring to release any brown bits on pan, and add tomatoes. Cook, stirring gently a few times, for 5 to 7 minutes. Add ¼ cup more water if needed. It should be saucy, not dry.
- Dig a little well, and crack an egg into it. Repeat for the other 3 eggs, spacing them evenly. Crumble the feta into large pieces and scatter around the eggs. Do the same with the olives.
- Cover and cook over medium-low until the eggs are done to your liking, about 15 minutes.
- Top with the herbs, and serve immediately.
Recipe and photography by Susan Spungen
Read – Unfussy Holidays